Northern Burlington County Regional School District – Preparing for the Future!
The NBC Regional School District returned to the “bond referendum drawing board” to be sure Northern Burlington County Regional School District – Is Preparing for the Future! The district’s Board of Education and Administration are proposing a one-question bond referendum that will be voted on by community members of Chesterfield, Mansfield, North Hanover, and Springfield on March 13, 2018.
An approved referendum will fund necessary facilities upgrades and renovations that will improve the current school climate and bolster academics opportunities for students and staff members, as well as prepare for the future. The Board of Education and Administration are committed to doing what’s best for the students of the NBC Regional School District and its surrounding community members. The future is looking bright and NBC Regional School District wants to be ready to embrace all that it has to offer.
If these projects are not funded through a bond referendum, which qualifies for state aid, they must be funded another way, which will not be as economically efficient for the district and the communities we serve. The proposed bond referendum is the most financially responsible option to complete the high school’s renovations and updates.
What is a Bond Referendum?
A school bond referendum is a special election giving voters the power to decide if a school district can raise funds for construction and renovation projects which cannot be funded through the district’s annual budget. The bond enables the district to pay for improvements over a longer period of time, similar to a home mortgage.
Additionally, in New Jersey, many of these projects qualify for state aid, which is not available if the projects are completed within the annual budget.
History of the Bond Referendum
You Spoke… We Listened.
On Tuesday, March 13, 2018, the Northern Burlington County Regional School District will ask the community to vote on a reduced, one-question $39.7 million bond referendum.
More than two years ago, in September 2015, the Northern Burlington County Regional School District (NBCRSD) asked voters to approve a bond referendum to fund construction, renovations, and necessary improvements to the high school. The two-question referendum was not approved. Following the defeat, community members and parents asked the board of education and administration to consider other options.
The NBC Regional School District Board of Education and Administration:
- Conducted surveys and focus groups with parents, staff, township leaders, and community members to review the district’s options and provide input on the future of NBC Regional School District.
- Slashed the scope of work to include only critical facilities renovations and construction that would bring aging facilities up to current standards, bolster academic opportunities, improve safety and security, and ensure the health and well-being of NB students.
- Significantly reduced the total project cost from $65 million to $39.7 million, a 40% decrease.
- Eliminated a new performing arts center and a new gymnasium.
- Ensured the district qualifies for 26% state aid, $10.3 million, which reduces the actual cost of the project to $29.4 million.